It is the objective of the School of Advertising
to offer students the opportunity to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to create advertising that is both exciting and effective. They will graduate with a competitive portfolio capable of winning that first job and with the abilities needed to succeed at that job. Most of all, they will be focused and creative communicators capable of expressing themselves in the traditional media and in the emerging interactive advertising.
: Art Director, Copywriter, Account Planner, Creative Director
BFA Program Learning Outcomes School of Advertising
- Strategic Communication
- Develop strategic briefs that focus on the target customer, the product / service, and the competition.
- Gather, assess, and apply relevant information, including historical research, for strategic and planning work.
- Identify customer needs, market strategies, and potential market opportunities.
- Identify social and consumer trends.
- Apply advanced understanding of branding to build the equity of a specific good or service.
- Visual Communication
- Use appropriate visual media, including freehand drawing and computer technology to convey essential elements at each stage of the creative process.
- Rapidly visualize creative ideas and images.
- Apply basic design principles, including font selections, to print, video, ambient, and interactive advertising.
- Verbal Communication
- Use engaging language to convey creative ideas and concepts, along with brand tone, at each stage of the creative process.
- Communicate strategic conceptual and artistic goals of an advertising campaign using industry terminology, both verbally and in writing
- Conceptual Thinking
- Stop the target, quickly communicate a benefit and sell a product/service in print, ambient, television, and interactive formats.
- Originate ideas and spend sufficient time on them to generate thought-provoking work.
- Professional Readiness
- Present a portfolio that meets industry standards.
- Meet deadlines.
- Submit work according to professional presentation standards.
- Collaborate with and lead other members of a creative team