Ecology, Behavior and Evolution Major
(Catalog Majors Winter 2004 and later)
PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS
All Life Science Core Curriculum courses must be passed with a letter grade of C- or better and must be completed with an overall GPA of 2.0 (C) or better. If you receive a grade of D or F in two core curriculum courses, either in separate courses or in repetitions of the same course, you are subject to dismissal from the major. EBE majors must earn a 2.0 (C) overall average in all courses applied toward the major.
* A maximum of four units of graduate work may be applied on the major (if approved).
* Each course applied toward the upper division major must have a minimum of 4 units. Courses with fewer units may be combined to equal one course equivalent, if they are applicable to the major; thus, (2) courses worth 2 units each (for a total of 4 units) count as one upper division requirement on the major. A six-unit course counts as one course on the requirements for the major.
* All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
* The College of Letters and Science requires a total of 60 upper division units for graduation. To graduate, students must earn a minimum global (major) GPA of 2.0 (C) in all courses applied toward the major and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C).
An overall GPA of 3.4 and a 3.4 in the global GPA of the major are required for graduation with honors in EBE. Highest honors in EBE are awarded to majors who have global and overall GPA's of 3.6 at graduation and who have satisfactorily completed EE Biol 198A&B. Students need not apply for departmental honors; all students are reviewed for honors following the receipt of final transcripts.
Life Science Core Curriculum:
1. Life Sciences 1, 2, 3, and 4
2. Chemistry 14A, 14B/BL, 14C/14CL, 14D OR Chemistry 20A, 20B/L, 30A/30AL, 30B/30BL (Students considering medical school who take the 20 series should also take 30C; students considering pharmacy school should take the 20 series plus 30C.)
3. Mathematics 31A, 31B, and 32A (recommended) OR Mathematics 3A, 3B, and 3C
4. Physics 6A, 6B, and 6C OR Physics 6AH, 6BH, and 6CH OR Physics 1ABC, 4AL, 4BL
5. Stats 13
Requirements for the Ecology, Behavior and Evolution Major:
1. One course in morphology and systematics (EE Biol 103, 105, 110, or 130)
2. One course in physiology (EE Biol 137, 146, 162 + 162L, 167, 170 or Phy Sci 166 )
3. Three courses in ecology, behavior, and evolution (EE Biol 100,116, C119, 120, 121, 122, 126, 128, 129, 130, 133, 135, 136, 137, 142, 151A, 152, 154, 155, 162, M171, 175; Anthro 128A)
4. One field quarter consisting of 16 units: the Field Biology Quarter (FBQ), the Marine Biology Quarter (MBQ), or pre-approved equivalent
5. Chemistry 153A and 153L
6. TWO ADDITIONAL UPPER DIVISION COURSES (totaling at least 8 units) from the following list: Anthropology 127P, 128A, 128B; EE Biol (EXCLUDES 190-196); Chemistry and Biochemistry (EXCLUDES 188-199); Earth and Space Sciences (Geology only) (EXCLUDES 188-199); Environment 184; Geography (EXCLUDES 188-199); Mathematics (EXCLUDES 104, 105A, 106, 188-199); MIMG (EXCLUDES 188-199); MCDB 138; or Physics (EXCLUDES 188-199).