Hood College prepares students to excel in meeting the personal, professional and global challenges of the future. Hood is committed to the integration of the liberal arts, the professions and technology, to the exploration of values, a sense of community and to the preparation of students for lives of responsibility and leadership.
* 27 major fields of study towards Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees
* 14 master's degrees
* 5 post-baccalaureate certificate programs and certification programs in education
Hood's beautiful 50-acre campus in the middle of charming, historic Frederick, Md., is ideally situated, just an hour's drive from the bustling cities of Washington, D.C., and Baltimore.
Hood students hail from 31 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 25 countries.
In fall 2008, total enrollment was 2,533 students:
* 1,449 undergraduates
* 1,084 students seeking master’s degrees, certificates or certifications.
* More than 100 dedicated professors ensure a low student-to-teacher ratio that ensures personal and high-quality attention.
* There are 80 full-time faculty members—most of whom hold a doctorate—who get to know the special strengths of each student.
* 13:1 undergraduate
* 14:1 graduate
Facilities and Housing
Academic facilities include:
* Library and information center
* Advanced computing laboratories
* Onica Prall Child Development Laboratory School
* State-of-the-art science and language laboratories
* Whitaker Campus Center
* Five stately residence halls and three language residences
Hood students can gain valuable career experience at more than 600 internship sites located locally and throughout the region. Opportunities have included:
* American Red Cross
* French Embassy
* Library of Congress
* Merrill Lynch
* National Gallery of Art
* National Institutes of Health
* National Zoological Park
* National Geographic Magazine
* U.S. Supreme Court
* The White House
* More than 60 clubs and organizations
* 16 honor societies
* Popular events include May Madness, Ring Ceremony, Fall Family Weekend, "Messiah" concert and dance, and current and classical movie showings