Program Highlights SJVC’s Respiratory Therapy program
prepares you to be a member of an elite health care team that evaluates, treats and manages patients with respiratory illnesses and other cardiopulmonary disorders. In addition to performing respiratory care procedures, respiratory therapists
are involved in clinical decision-making and patient education.
- Microbiology, chemistry, and anatomy and physiology
- Computer applications, ethics and psychology
- Pathology, pharmacology and resuscitation
- Mechanical ventilation of adults, pediatrics, and newborns
- Hemodynamics, physical assessment and oxygen delivery
- Monitoring, radiography and airway management
Students receive over 900 hours of extensive clinical practice in hospitals and clinics to gain real world experience.
Career Opportunities Well-trained respiratory therapists
are in tremendous demand in such areas as acute care hospitals, durable medical equipment companies, sub-acute facilities, home care agencies, physicians’ offices, or managed care organizations; as well as specialized areas, such as sleep labs and pulmonary function labs. Some position opportunities include:
- Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
- Pulmonary Function Technologist (RPFT)
- Neonatal-Pediatric Specialist (NPS)
- Clinical Educator/Clinical Specialist
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation/Asthma Specialist
Certifications Earned Graduates earn an Associate of Science degree and are eligible for state licensure and national credentialing examinations, including the Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) and Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credentials.