Requirements for the Master of Physical Therapy
(62 units)(see Advising Note 1)
PHTH 207, 208, 209, 217, 218, 219, 226, 227, 228, 229, 236, 237, 238, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 291
Electives (6 units)
and Comprehensive Examination (0 units)
PHTH 240-249, 288T, 290
Project (6 units)
PHTH 298 (see Advising Note 2)
Total (68 units)
Advancement to Candidacy Requirements
- PHTH 256 and 257 clinical experiences and PHTH 275 postgraduate internship are conducted in a variety of clinical facilities through out the state. Students must provide for all expenses including housing, meals, and travel. These are offered CR/NC only.
- PHTH 298 has limited enrollment and therefore the student must go through a selection process to receive permission to enroll.
- PHTH 275 must be completed to be eligible to take the state examination for licensure.
Students usually advance to candidacy following the completion of two full-time semesters of graduate coursework in the Master of Physical Therapy program. Prior to advancement to candidacy, students must have the following:
- Classified graduate student standing.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (overall, program, and California State University, Fresno) on all coursework completed after the date of the first course to be included in the master's degree program, with no grade below C.
- Demonstrated required competency in clinical coursework (PHTH 254-257) with grade of CR or a letter grade of B or better.
- Demonstrated graduate level writing proficiency (assessment of a portfolio of writings is used). This requirement must be met within one semester of classified graduate standing. Contact the Department of Physical Therapy for detailed requirements.
- Approval from the faculty to take the department's comprehensive written examination with an oral defense.
A culminating experience is required of all Fresno State master's degree candidates. Students in physical therapy satisfy the requirement through a comprehensive written examination with an oral defense
. The graduate project is limited to 10 students and therefore each student must go through a selection process to get permission to enroll in PHTH 298.