Comments about Master of Arts in English - Concentration in Creative Writing - At the institution - Providence - RI - Rhode Island
* A completed application form accompanied by a fifty-dollar nonrefundable application fee.
* Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate records.
* A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale in 24 credit hours of upper-level courses in English language and literature.
* An official report of scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
* An official report of scores on the Graduate Record Advanced Literature in English Examination (optional).
* Three letters of recommendation, with at least two from English professors.
* A plan of study approved by the advisor and appropriate dean.
* An interview.
EIGHTEEN CREDIT HOURS OF COURSES at the graduate level. Twelve of the 18 hours must be in literature courses
Twelve of the 18 credit hours must be in graduate-level literature courses.
ENGL 581 Workshop in Creative Writing (taken for 3 semesters)
ENGL 592 Master's Thesis
Under the thesis plan (required for M.A. in English - Creative Writing), students take English 592: Master's Thesis in their final semester of study toward the M.A. degree, during which they write a master's thesis on a subject of their choice that has been approved by the creative writing committee. The thesis will be written under the direction of a creative writing faculty member of the student's choice and will be read by that faculty member and by the creative writing committee. The thesis will consist of a substantial body of poetry, fiction, nonfiction prose, or drama. A defense of the thesis before a faculty committee is required in all cases.