This program prepares students with the necessary skills and academic knowledge for entry-level or management training positions in health information management with a general understanding of business principles and a thorough understanding of the content of the medical record as well as extensive training in anatomy, physiology, disease processes, and medical terminology. The program provides the student with the knowledge and understanding to manage medical records systems and personnel engaged in the analysis of medical records and the assignment of codes to classify diagnoses and procedures. A minimum of 124 semester credit hours is required for graduation.
Graduates will be eligible to sit for the RHIA credential offered through AHIMA.
Upon completion of their program, the student should be able to:
Potential Job Position Titles
- Demonstrate ability to use knowledge attained to create clerical documents used in medical facilities.
- Read and understand medical documentation, identify diagnoses and procedures and insure that documentation supports the diagnosis and procedures performed.
- Apply knowledge of medical terminology, disease process, anatomy and physiology, and pharmacology.
- Apply knowledge of ICD and CPT format, instructional notations, conventions, in-patient and outpatient guidelines.
- Apply knowledge of payer billing and reimbursement, the prospective payment system and fraud and abuse issues.
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize industry standard accounting principles to support and evaluate managerial decision-making.
- Demonstrate the ability to formulate strategic and operational business solutions typically encountered during normal operation of a small or mid-sized entity utilizing a range of management tools within an ethical environment.
- Demonstrate mastery of industry standard medical databases and records systems.
- Demonstrate the ability to define and articulate organizational, operational, ethical, legal, and managerial issues impacting health information management.
- Medical Coding Specialist
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Health Information Specialist
- Medical Clerk
- Health Information Manager