The bachelor’s degree in Biology prepares students for careers in research and technical areas requiring a baccalaureate degree and for pursuing graduate studies through comprehensive science education encompassing standard academic courses in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and computer science. Program graduates have the skills and competencies to gain employment in government and industry careers requiring a knowledge base in biology, including medical and other health-related fields, seek admission to graduate and/or professional programs, and teach science at the secondary school level. The Department of Biology sponsors majors leading to the Bachelor of Science degree and to the Bachelor of Science degree with teacher licensure (6-12). Biology and Marine Science minors also are offered.
Bachelor of Science - Biology Major
MAJOR CODE: 26.0101
Program components for the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Biology include:
1. APPLICABLE GENERAL UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS:
To graduate, each student must:
• complete a minimum of 33 semester hours of the last 39 semester hours at ASU.
• complete a minimum of 60 semester hours of upper level college/university credit (300-400 level courses).
• complete a minimum of 15 semester hours of upper (300/400) level coursework in his or her major at Athens State
University, not including courses taken by consortium arrangement. School or departmental regulations may require
more than 15 semester hours of coursework in the major at Athens State University.
• complete all course requirements for major(s).
• complete all course requirements for minor (if applicable).
• complete all of the general education requirements for the degree.
• attain an overall grade point average of 2.0, a 2.0 on all coursework attempted at Athens State University and at least a
2.0 in the major field. School or departmental regulations may require more than a 2.0 grade point average (see major
requirements in each discipline).
• complete the total hour requirement as specified by the degree.
• complete the teacher certification requirements