This interdisciplinary program prepares individuals employed in health care
for professional careers and leadership roles within dynamic health care organizations. To achieve this goal, the program draws from several academic disciplines including communication, health care administration, business, and the social sciences to provide learners with a holistic and humanistic approach to value-centered leadership.
This value-centered approach integrates leadership theories with ethical behavior within the context of the organization’s values. In an era of increased financial constraints and regulatory demands, value-centered leadership provides organizations and their members a sound foundation for professional practice. This foundation serves to balance the environmental demands and increase the effectiveness of health care
teams in today’s service-oriented, multicultural, health care system.
Graduates of the Healthcare Leadership
- Communicate effectively across their organizations
- Cultivate productive relationships in a complex healthcare environment
- Develop a service orientation consistent with professional and ethical principles
- Problem-solve and develop solutions
- Understand and apply the organization’s goals and strategies
- Demonstrate individual and team leadership skills
The program is modeled after the National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) Competency Model and the American College of Health Care Executives (ACHE) Areas of Knowledge.
HEALTHCARE LEADERSHIP (ACCELERATED)/BACHELOR OF ARTS
Total Credit Hours: 128
Major Credit Hours: 30
PROGRAM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants should be at least 24 years of age; have earned a minimum of 12 semester (18 quarter) hours of transferable credit at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution; have earned a minimum of a 2.0 (4.0 scale) cumulative transfer GPA, based on all transferable courses to be considered for admission; and have at least 3 years of full-time work experience. Credits earned through PLA cannot be used for satisfying the transfer credit hour requirement for admission into an accelerated degree program.
DEGREE REQUIREMENTS FOR BA IN HEALTHCARE LEADERSHIP
• Successful completion of a minimum of 128 semester credit hours.
• Completion of the final 32 semester graded credit hours at Lewis University including four upper division foundation courses and/or major courses (12 semester credit hours.)
• Achievement of an overall grade point average of at least 2.00 (“C”) for all courses taken at Lewis University and a 2.20 average for the major area courses.
I. General Education (45)
(includes two Mission-based courses)
II. Major Area Courses (30)
L7-300 United States Healthcare System (3)
L7-310 Communication in Healthcare Organizations (3)
L7-330 Team Dynamics in Healthcare (3)
L7-340 Complementary and Alternative Healthcare (3)
L7-351 Managing Information in Healthcare (3)
L7-360 Management Skills for the Healthcare Professional (3)
L7-400 Healthcare Planning and Analysis (3)
L7-410 Healthcare Operations (3)
L7-440 Leadership in Healthcare (3)
L7-441 Healthcare Leadership Practicum (3)