ACPHS has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1881 as the Department of Pharmacy of Union University, the College was the vision of Archibald McClure, President of an Albany pharmaceutical firm, and his colleagues.
The College shared facilities with Albany Medical College in an old schoolhouse in downtown Albany until the 1920s, when the schools constructed their own buildings. The College expanded that facility in 1956 and then again in 1982.
In 2000, ACPHS expanded for the first time into a second building – the Classroom Building. This exciting move was undertaken following a $4 million renovation of the former Christian Brothers Academy main building. This facility provides academic offices and classroom space for the College.
In 2003, ACPHS officially opened its cutting-edge Pharmaceutical Research Institute, now located in Rensselaer, NY – approximately 15 minutes from the ACPHS campus. In 2004, the College established South Hall, one of four on-campus residence facilities for students (along with Holland Suites, Notre Dame Hall and College Suites).
The College added a state-of-the-art student center in 2006, and in 2009, opened its first satellite campus in Colchester, Vermont, just outside of Burlington.
ACPHS is committed to the advancement of health. In addition to the doctor of pharmacy program, the College offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health and Human Sciences and Biomedical Technology (the latter with concentrations in Cytotechnology and Clinical Laboratory Sciences), and a Certificate Program in Cytotechnology. Graduate programs include Master's degrees in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacy Administration and Health Outcomes Research.