One of only 34 programs in the U.S., the Master of Science degree in International and Intercultural Education (IIE)
at FIU is uniquely designed to provide graduate training to students interested in understanding the processes of globalization, the global environment, and the responsibilities of citizenship in an increasingly interdependent world. The program places special emphasis on training in cross-cultural communication and exchange, international development, and educational practice in a global context. Our courses are mainly in-class, but we do offer some hybrid and fully-online courses. Research and analytical skills are provided to insure student’s ability to define, gather, analyze and evaluate data for project management and decision-making. Applied courses are designed to provide the professional competencies for academic research, teaching and administration, and employment in foundations, non-governmental organizations, governmental institutions, businesses and corporations. Our students have worked in several countries and regions such as Spain, Andorra, South Korea, the Caribbean, Africa, Latin America, the U.S., and Germany and have worked in several capacities including: K-12 social science teachers, ESL teachers in the U.S. and abroad, international education credential experts, and international education study abroad program directors. Some of our Master's students hold graduate assistantships in the College of Education as well as undertake internships across campus in various departments.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution;
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of upper-division undergraduate coursework;
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which (two are preferred) must be from a person familiar with the applicant’s undergraduate work and able to comment knowledgeably on his or her ability to perform graduate-level work;
- A personal statement of 1,000 words or less explaining any personal and professional goals you plan to achieve with the accomplishment of the degree. Please list any recognitions of achievement that you have received (e.g. licenses, publications, awards). Provide any additional information that you would like considered in the evaluation of the application.
- Total credits (minimum): 33
- Foundations of Education: 9
- Core: 6
- Geocultural area : 6
- Policy: 3
- Area of Interest: 9