Step 1: Submit the UC Berkeley Graduate Division Online Application
* Statement of Purpose – State the purpose in entering the graduate program, your proposed emphasis of studies, and any special interest(s) in the field. Statements should be clear and focused. For tips on writing a statement of purpose please see the Graduate Division website.
* Personal History Statement – Not required by the department.
* Three Letters of Recommendation – Submit the names of your recommenders through the online application. The recommender is to provide a personal impression of the applicant’s intellectual ability, aptitude in research or professional skills, character, and the quality of previous work and potential for future productive scholarship. ONLY online letters of recommendation are accepted.
* GRE - Domestic M.L.A. applicants and all PH.D. applicants must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and have their official scores reported to the Graduate Division by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Only GRE scores taken after June 2005 are valid. School code: 4833. Department code: 4405.
* TOEFL or IELTS - Applicants from non-English-speaking countries must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). M.L.A. applicants who take the TOEFL or IELTS are not required to take the GRE.
Step 2: Mail Supplemental Material to Department
* Statement of Purpose
* One set of official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended since high school.
* M.L.A. Exhibit of Creative Work (Portfolio) – first and second professional applicants ONLY.
Graduate Admissions Committee
Department of Landscape Architecture & Environmental Planning
University of California, Berkeley
202 Wurster Hall #2000
Berkeley, CA 94720-2000
Step 3: Upload Supplemental Materials to the LAEP Admissions Intranet
Applicants who have submitted the UC Berkeley Graduate Division Online Application by the deadline will be given access to the LAEP Admissions Intranet. Applicants will receive a detailed email with instructions on how to upload all required Supplemental Application Material.
Supplemental Application Materials
* Departmental Application:
Interactive PDF Version | Microsoft Word Version
* Statement of Purpose
* Unofficial Transcript(s) – Note: Before uploading your unofficial transcript please remove your Social Security number and date of birth.
* Exhibit of Creative Work (First & Second professional applicants)
* Recent Publication (Environmental Planning applicants)
* 5 to 7 page Proposed Research including methodology (Ph.D. applicants)
* Recent Publication or Report (Ph.D. applicants)
M.L.A. Environmental Planning Program
Submit a recent publication or report that reflects your writing and/or analytical skills, and some aspects of your environmental interests. Electronic submission (PDF). There is no page requirement. Environmental Planning applicants are not required to submit an Exhibit of Creative Work (portfolio).