The M.A. in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certification Track is an initial program for candidates who do not currently hold certification in ESL Education. Candidates who currently hold ESL certification should enroll in a graduate program leading to initial certification in an area other than TESOL in order to fulfill professional (permanent) certification requirements in both areas. Qualified candidates certified in areas other than ESL may enroll in this program in order to earn a second certificate and fulfill the graduate degree requirement for professional certification in both areas. The program is also registered for candidates seeking initial certification in TESOL. Upon application to the program, candidates’ undergraduate transcripts will be evaluated for appropriate liberal arts course work required under New York State regulations which includes completion of 12 credits in a language other than English. Any deficient course work must be completed prior to the final student teaching semester. The department of curriculum and instruction does not waive the student teaching requirement.
There is also a Non-Certification Track M.A. in TESOL designed for international students or other candidates preparing to teach English as a Second Language to adults or in programs where certification is not required.
Note: The following course sequence is for candidates entering in the fall semester. See departmental adviser for sequence for candidates entering in spring or summer. Courses are three credits unless noted otherwise. Note: In compliance with new state regulations, the M.A. degree program requires a minimum of 100 hours of fieldwork in schools prior to student teaching.
Important Notes and Deadlines
1. Student Teaching is full time, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. for 16 weeks. Students will be placed in A, B, or C:
A. For Uncertified Students (6 credits), EBE 820 TESOL Student Teaching
B. For Students Certified in Other Areas (6 credits), EBE 821 Practicum in TESOL (fall or spring) AND EBE 822 Practicum in TESOL (summer)
C. For Students Teaching in TESOL Classrooms Without Certification (6 credits) EBE 851/852 Student Teaching in TESOL (uncertified teachers)
2. 100 hours of field work are required as part of course work. The application is available in Harvey Hall Room 111 or from your Manhattan Center adviser.
3. No method courses will be offered during summer sessions.
4. In addition to passing all courses within a block, candidates must pass all required benchmarks before permitted to move on to the next block. The assessment rubrics for each benchmark are located after the syllabus for the course in which the benchmark is required.
5. Application and portfolio required for student teaching or practicum. Applications are due as follows:
Fall student teaching, applications are due March 1.
Spring student teaching, applications are due December 1.
6. Student teaching and/or Practicum is required of all students and will not be waived.
7. All NYSTCE (L.A.S.T., ATS-W, AND C.S.T.) must be passed prior to Student Teaching/Practicum. See test booklet for up-to-date information and registration.
8. All graduate course work and undergraduate general education requirements must be completed before a degree will be conferred. Applications for transfer or waiver of credit requests are available through the Records Office, Harvey Hall Room 130, or your Manhattan Center adviser.
9. All off-campus students are required to take one course at the Garden City campus.