If you have a passion for dance and a desire to use your skills in a counseling role, Antioch University New England's programs in Dance/Movement Therapy lead to truly gratifying career options. Dance/Movement Therapy integrates the mind, body, and spirit through verbal and non-verbal treatment approaches to wellness. The program is approved by the American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA).
Practice while you study.
Dance/Movement Therapy (DMT) incorporates hands-on clinical experience to complement classroom sessions. You complete supervised practica and internships in clinical settings to put your skills, knowledge, and talent to work.
Learn from world-renowned faculty.
Join students who come to AUNE because our faculty have excellent credentials and are recognized experts in DMT, presenting and publishing internationally.
Broaden your experience with Drama Therapy.
For students with an interest in drama, we offer a path to the Alternate Route Drama Therapy credential from the National Association of Drama Therapy. We offer many required courses within the DMT curriculum and have a board certified drama therapist on the faculty.
Choose from three options.
DMT offers three graduate study opportunities—MA, MEd, or Post-Master's Certificate. Choose the program that best helps you reach your goals.
Master of Arts in Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling. This 62-credit program of coursework and clinical training spans two and a half to three years as you explore verbal and nonverbal approaches to therapy.
* In the first year, you spend two days a week in core classes. This includes practica in DMT, and counseling and DMT courses.
* Your second-year includes advanced courses in DMT and counseling. In addition, you spend two semesters in a supervised counseling practicum/internship.
* Your third year includes a six- to nine-month DMT internship (700 hours) under American Dance Therapy Registered (BC-DMT) supervision anywhere in the US
Behavioral Science Foundations
* Human Development & Diversity
* Psychopathology: An Ecological Approach
* Psychomotor Assessment of Children
* Psychomotor Assessment of Adults
Individual Assessment and Intervention Strategies
* Fundamentals of Therapeutic Interaction
* Expressive Arts Therapy
* Dance/Movement Therapy with Children
* Dance/Movement Therapy with Adults
* Counseling Theories: Models and Approaches
Group & Social Systems Assessment & Intervention Strategies
* Group Work in Dance Movement Therapy and Counseling
* Social & Cultural Diversity in Dance Movement Therapy
Professional Seminar 12 credits
Practicum and Internship 14 credits
Research and Evaluation 3 credits
Total Credits for MA in DanceMovement Therapy and Counseling