Walden University’s M.S. in Education (M.S.Ed.) is an online degree program that focuses on increasing teacher and student success. The program’s cutting-edge curriculum connects students with nationally recognized education experts, researchers, and scholars. Students gain access to leading technology, including electronic portfolios, podcasts, and Virtual Field Experiences™.
Students of teachers who hold a Walden M.S.Ed. degree with a specialization in Elementary Reading and Literacy made larger gains in reading fluency than students of non-Walden-master’s-educated teachers, according to a recent independent research study on Walden’s M.S.Ed. program.*
In addition, M.S.Ed. alumni strongly endorse their Walden experience. More than 90 percent of M.S.Ed. graduates said that earning their degrees at Walden enhanced their professional performance.
Walden’s M.S.Ed. program is offered through The Richard W. Riley College of Education and Leadership, named for the former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education. The college is the choice of more than 44,000 students and alumni.
We are continually evaluating our curriculum to address the changing landscape of teaching, which is why our M.S. in Education program includes more emphasis on the following four themes.
* Teacher professionalism, including beliefs and behaviors that contribute to a higher level of teacher performance
* Cultural and linguistic diversity, and the skills needed to adapt to various learning and language styles
* Supportive learning environments, and the keys to build a learning community that motivates and engages students
* Teacher as a facilitator for learning, and how to leverage data assessment to be an instructional leader
Our program was developed by K–12 educators for K–12 educators. As a result, our faculty members understand your day-to-day pressures and professional needs. We’ve designed the program to incorporate a series of academic requirements, or milestones, designed to ensure you have acquired the necessary competencies and expertise to be a more effective educator. At each milestone, your progress within the program will be evaluated using assessments that align with national professional standards. Walden’s faculty will help you master core concepts and principles, while our student support services can provide additional academic, advising, and technical assistance. Successful advancement beyond each milestone certifies that you have the knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions to make a positive impact in your classroom, school, and community.
* Align with national standards
* Combine current theory with practical strategies
* Encourage you to apply new skills in your classroom
* Offer access to recognized experts in your field
* Lead to superior outcomes for your students
* Adolescent Literacy and Technology (Grades 6–12)
* Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (Grades K–12)
* Educational Leadership (Non-Licensure) (Grades K-12)
* Elementary Reading and Literacy (PreK–6)
* Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K–6)
* Integrating Technology in the Classroom (Grades K–12)
* Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas (Grades 6–12)
* Mathematics (Grades K–5)
* Mathematics (Grades 6–8)
* Middle Level Education (Grades 5–8)
* Professional Development (Grades P–12)
* Science (Grades K–8)
* Special Education (Non-Licensure) (Grades K–12)
* Teacher Leadership (Grades K–12)