* Augustana College offers a major in communication sciences and disorders -- the only CSD program in Illinois that focuses solely on undergraduate education. Along with challenging academic coursework within a liberal arts foundation, components of the CSD major include substantial clinical experience, research and service learning -- all with the close support of the CSD faculty.
* The department recently moved into a state-of-the-art facility in the Brodahl Building that houses the classroom and student-clinician workroom, seven assessment-intervention rooms, two research laboratories, a conference room and CSD faculty offices.
* All Augustana students complete Senior Inquiry, a capstone project in which students draw from their comprehensive learning experiences to develop and complete a topical project that demonstrates benefit to a community. Each student develops his or her Senior Inquiry project in partnership with a faculty mentor or clinical internship supervisor. Every year, one or two CSD majors are granted the Augustana College CSD Student Research Award in support of their research.
Outside the classroom
* Augustana CSD majors have been selected to present their research findings at the national convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association every year for the past 10 years. For more than 25 consecutive years, CSD majors have presented at annual state conventions.
* At the Center for Communication Disorders, Augustana's on-campus clinic, we provide intervention to approximately 85 families per term; CSD majors provide a vast majority of these clinical services, supervised by CSD faculty who hold the Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
* In 2006 Augustana's chapter of the National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association was given the National Chapter of the Year Award in recognition of our majors' community outreach and service learning accomplishments. This was only the second time that an undergraduate-only program had received this honor.
* Augustana's CSD program provides a solid background for careers in audiology, speech-language pathology, speech science, hearing science, health care, education, and sales of clinical, education and health-related materials.
* The department's preparation for academic, clinical and professional settings leads to a high rate of success in graduate school entry and performance. Since 1995, more than 96 percent of Augustana's CSD majors who applied to graduate school have been admitted, and approximately 50 percent of these graduates received teaching or research fellowships.