Marine Biology Major
(Catalog Majors Fall 2006 and later)
PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS
1. fish in the sea All Life Science Core Curriculum courses must be passed with a letter grade of C- or better and must be completed with an overall GPA of 2.0 (C) or better. If you receive a grade of D or F in two core curriculum courses, either in separate courses or in repetitions of the same course, you are subject to dismissal from the major. Marine Biology majors must earn a 2.0 (C) overall average in all courses applied toward the major.
2. A maximum of four units of graduate work may be applied on the major (if approved).
3. Each course applied toward the upper division major must have a minimum of 4 units. Courses with fewer units may be combined to equal one course equivalent, if they are applicable to the major; thus, (2) courses worth 2 units each (for a total of 4 units) count as one upper division requirement on the major. A six-unit course counts as one course on the requirements for the major.
4. All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
5. The College of Letters and Science requires a total of 60 upper division units for graduation. To graduate, students must earn a minimum global (major) GPA of 2.0 (C) in all courses applied toward the major and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 (C).
An overall GPA of 3.4 and a 3.4 in the global GPA of the major are required for graduation with honors in Marine Biology. Highest honors in Marine Biology are awarded to majors who have global and overall GPA's of 3.6 at graduation and who have satisfactorily completed EE Biol 198A&B. Students need not apply for departmental honors; all students are reviewed for honors following the receipt of final transcripts.
Life Science Core Curriculum:
1. Life Sciences 1, 2, 3, and 4
2. Chemistry 14A, 14B/BL, 14C/14CL, 14D
OR Chemistry 20A, 20B/L, 30A/30AL, 30B/30BL (Students considering medical school who take the 20 series should also take 30C; students considering pharmacy school should take the 20 series plus 30C.)
3. Mathematics 3A, 3B, and 3C
OR Mathematics 31A, 31B, and 32A (The 31 series is recommended)
4. Physics 6A, 6B, and 6C OR Physics 6AH, 6BH, and 6CH
OR Physics 1ABC, 4AL, 4BL (The 1 series is recommended)
5. Stats 13
6. Earth & Space Sciences 15 or Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences 1
* Some of the upper division courses require additional prerequisites, so the student must plan accordingly and carefully.
Requirements for the Marine Biology Major:
1. EE Biol 109 + 109L
2. One EE Biol laboratory course (EE Biol 101, 105, 110, 112, 136, 170, 181)
3. One course in marine organismic biology or physiology (EE Biol 101, 105, 107, 112, 128, 137, 142, 168, 170 or Phy Sci 166)
4. One course in ecology or behavior (EE Biol 100, 116, C119, 122, 128, 129, 133, 136,)137, 142, 151A,152, 154, 155, 162, 170;Anthro 128A)
5. One course in evolution (EE Biol 116, 120, 121,130, 133, 135, M171, 175)
6. One field quarter consisting of four courses from the Marine Biology Quarter (MBQ) or pre-approved equivalent
7. One additional course from physical, chemical, or geological oceanography courses from: EE Biol 198A, 198B, 199; Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences 102, 103, 104, M105 (or EE Biol M139), and 130; Chemistry and Biochemistry 103, 153A; Earth & Space Sciences 100, 116, 119, 141, 153; Geography 100, 101, 103, 106, 123, 130, 168, 169; Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering 103 (strongly recommended), 150A
8. One additional course from category 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 above (not already applied in items 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7)