As our culture becomes more and more visual, photographs play a bigger role in communicating ideas. Photographs
are used to sell products, tell a story, or convey a mood. Therefore, talented and skilled photographers are in high demand. What makes a great photo? In FIT’s Photography Department, the focus is not solely on a pretty or well-composed image. We are interested in the very essence of photographs
and how they communicate complex ideas.
Whether your interest is in advertising, fashion, photojournalism/documentary, or fine art photography, our faculty of professional photographers will prepare you with the skills and knowledge you need to reach your goals as a visual artist. You’ll study the latest techniques, learn about camera formats, lighting, and photo styling, and become proficient in both digital and analog technologies. Frequent critiques help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, shaping your identity as an individual creative artist.
In this program, you’ll:
- Classrooms are professionally equipped photography studios, darkrooms, and Mac-platform digital editing laboratories.
- Internship sites include magazines such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, and In Style, and major ad agencies, TV studios, and world-famous photographers’ studios.
- The Photography Club helps you develop your creativity and build your portfolio.
- create a network of contacts through seminars, guest lectures, and industry events.
- explore museums, galleries, and photo studios in New York City—the center of the art world and your extended classroom.
- develop a portfolio of work that meets the highest professional standard.
- gain an international perspective on photography with a study abroad opportunity in Florence and Milan, Italy.