Walden University’s new B.S. in Communication program blends communication theory with practical communication skills that can be applied to a broad range of careers. Learn to craft effective messages and to use new and emerging technologies to communicate effectively in today’s global information society. In your final capstone course, you can gain real-world experience as you choose a setting and apply communication concepts and tools to set strategic direction, identify the market, and determine advantages and opportunities. By the end of the program, you will have developed an ePortfolio, which includes a comprehensive communications plan, that may be used in job interviews and performance reviews.
Whether you are pursuing a career in advertising, marketing, public relations, or promotions, or you are seeking to broaden your career options in other fields, Walden’s B.S. in Communication will help you strengthen your communication skills and enhance your effectiveness in corporate, nonprofit, public sector, and community settings.
By choosing Walden, you are choosing a rich and engaging learning experience that complements your unique learning style. Whether you prefer text, audio, or video formats, MobileLearnSM allows you to download and access your course content offline and on-the-go, giving your study schedule even greater flexibility.
Throughout this program, you will study ways to
* Expand your creativity and critical-thinking skills
* Explore interpersonal, intercultural, and organizational communication
* Assess and enhance your personal communication style
* Marketing Communications
* New Media
* Online Work and Communities
* Organizational Communication
* Public Relations
* Deepen your knowledge by taking up to 70% of your courses in communication.
* Focus on your interests by taking communication courses while completing general education requirements.
* Select courses to assess your own communication style and to add to your professional growth and development, including Interpersonal Communication, Essentials of Group and Organizational Communication, and Communication and Thought.
* Explore the challenges and opportunities within the virtual world of work with courses that integrate technology into the communication process, including Computer-Mediated Communications, Computer-Supported Collaborative Work, and Web 2.0 Systems and Applications.
* Discover how new media create a strong communication advantage and keep pace with one of the fastest-growing market needs in today’s dynamic work world with courses such as Mass Communications Using New Media, New Media and Global Communication, and New Media Design.
* Integrate theory with practice in your capstone course as you select a setting to which you can apply your newly acquired communication skills. Assess strategic direction of your selected organization, identify market or audience, and determine advantages and opportunities as you build a detailed communication strategy.
* Develop an impressive portfolio of your work, including a comprehensive communication plan that contains press releases, marketing, and internal organizational communications. Use this ePortfolio to share your work in job interviews and performance reviews. When you graduate, you will have an interactive showcase of your success.
* Enjoy a more successful experience, with our proactive Student Support Team, which helps you balance your educational, personal, and professional goals.
* Explore new perspectives by collaborating with students around the world who share your passion for learning.
The B.S. in Communication program helps you to blend communication theory with practical communication skills. In this program, you will learn to
* Demonstrate effective written communication skills for multicultural and diverse audiences
* Assess awareness of your values, dispositions, and communication styles in interpersonal, group, and mass communications
* Critically analyze needs and select appropriate communication strategies
* Collaborate with others to promote personal accountability and mutual respect
* Use digital communication in professional settings
* Take a systems perspective to achieve the best organizational, community, and global communications
* Demonstrate ethical, socially aware strategies in communication with local and far-reaching audiences