The Crop Science
Major prepares students for science-based technical courses in agricultural production or work in associated agricultural industries. Agriculture
is one of the largest sectors of the national economy and positions are numerous. Students interested in the biological and chemical sciences will find challenges in biotechnology as they look forward to a career in improving the quality and quantity of our food supply.
Many careers are available to crop scientists. Careers can be categorized in groups, such as field production, production advisor, agriculture product sales and marketing, agricultural research, agricultural educator and government agent. Examples of such jobs are:
- The grower who manages soil, water and pests in order to produce a crop of peanuts that meets the quality requirements for Mars Candy Corporation.
- An agricultural extension agent who combines knowledge of production practices and the latest scientific research to educate growers about how to grow a better crop of wheat intended for pretzel makers.
- A plant scientist who specializes in the ecology of weeds and advises growers on how to reduce pest damage to a crop with minimal effect on the environment.
- A research scientist who specializes in plant biology, cell biology, genetics, soil chemistry or biochemistry and conducts laboratory or field research that might produce a new type of corn to reduce insecticide use.
- An agricultural marketing specialist whose knowledge of software, electronics, fertilizer chemistry and plant genetics helps a soybean grower decide which is the best technology to use on their farm.
- A feed and forage quality specialist who performs the laboratory analyses that determine the chemical and nutritive quality for livestock producers.
- A governmenet agent who, in cooperation with a conservation group like Trout Unlimited, advises a farmer on how to maintain or improve wildlife habitat while also producing a high-quality hay crop.
Other Job Titles:
Crop marketing specialist
Crop production specialist
Seed production specialist