It is the job of the graphic designer
—or graphic artist—to create visual solutions to communications problems. They decide the most effective way of getting a message across in print, electronic, and film media using a variety of methods. While a Bachelor's degree is required for most entry-level and advanced graphic design positions, creativity and effective communication and problem-solving skills are also crucial to success. And today, graphic designers must also be familiar with computer graphics and design software.AIU offers a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Communication with a concentration in Graphic Design
that can help prepare students to become creative and technically proficient graphic artists. This degree program integrates theory, practice, and team-oriented learning to help students develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in the field.The Visual Communication program at AIU is designed to
educate and develop artistic and imaginative students for careers in the fields of commercial art and design. The program emphasizes the development of the thinking process and the ability to solve design problems creatively. Students can learn the principles, practical applications, technologies, and methodologies used in solving complex design problems in a creative and unique manner.
The BFA in Visual Communication with a concentration in Graphic Design can help prepare students interested in developing and advancing a career as a:
Challenging, Relevant Coursework
- Graphic Designer or Artist
- Brand Communicator
- Production Artist
- Packaging/Brand Designer
- Print/Interactive Designer
The BFA in Visual Communication with a concentration in Graphic Design features industry-relevant coursework taught by faculty members with real-world experience in the field. Key topics addressed in this degree program include the uses of typography in design, the development of corporate identity materials, branding and packaging, and the process of producing an ad campaign.
Students who successfully complete the program should be able to:
Concentration courses for this program include:
- Plan and create effective, cohesive design solutions using a variety of media.
- Use current software and technology to create digital compositions while applying color theory and graphic design principles.
- Plan and design interactive projects that demonstrate navigational and organizational methodologies.
- Apply project management and teamwork skills to address digital design industry issues.
- Develop skills for effective oral and written communication, presentation, and critical thinking.
- Apply business principles and practices that satisfy project requirements.
- Refine existing pieces for inclusion into a professional portfolio.
- Advanced Graphic Design I
- Typography Design II
- Advanced Graphic Design II
- Typography Design III